The History of Jupiter
Have you ever been to Jupiter, the town in Palm Beach County, Florida, that is much loved and is a home to thousands of people? If not, well, now it’s the perfect time for that. You will be thrilled with what this town has to offer you and will also be mesmerized by its beautiful beaches and landscapes. So, it’s not surprising why this remarkable town was rated among the Ten Happiest Seaside Towns in America. Master Painters has a long history there, too!
But, before visiting this happy town, you should be familiar with its history, so as to get a better understanding of why this town is so special. It can be said that the history of this town began in the early 1800s, when land was abundant and ownership of said land was simply synonymous with being wealthy.
Where does its name come from?
The Spanish called Jupiter, and the area around this town, Jobe. In seventeen sixty-three, when the English arrived, they thought the name of this area was connected to God Jupiter, because both terms refer to the same God, so they anglicized Jobe.
Fort Jupiter and the Fort Jupiter Post Office
In 1838, after a famous battle with Seminole Indians, Fort Jupiter had been constructed. Around the fort, the Jupiter Military Reservation was created in 1855. The area was 9,088 acres, and included the site of the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse. On that area, there was also land for the second Fort Jupiter – where the Fort Jupiter Post Office was founded during the Third Seminole War (from 1855-1856). However, the fort was closed in 1860, because it was difficult to supply, being very difficult to supply and furnish with weapons, men and food.
In 1884, the Jupiter Post Office was opened by James Armour who was a lighthouse keeper. The next three years, the post office was actually inactive. Then in 1887, Mary Moore Carlin recreated the office at the Jupiter Lifesaving Station. Charles Carlin, her husband, was the keeper of the station.
This town was located in the far north, on the “Celestial Railroad” – a 7.5-mile long line that represented the way for travelers to Lake Worth. The travelers would see all kinds of sights, the most impressive being the beautiful old steamers.
The DuBois family
The DuBois family was one of the first families who settled in Jupiter, at Stone’s Point. Nowadays, their past homestead is a part of Palm Beach County’s DuBois Park.
John Rue DuBois – the eldest son of Harry and Susan Dubois – had managed to preserve artifacts that were found on their property. These artifacts were carefully studied by the Florida State Museum. Therefore, this park is a great opportunity to find out valuable information about life in early Jupiter.
At the beginning of the century, the town had less than 150 people. However, the good reverend Dr. Charles Jackson founded an elementary school, in the Neptune area. Jupiter was the area east of Lake Worth Cree, while Neptune was for the area along the Florida East Coast Railroad. It’s interesting to note that a lifeboat, coming from U.S.S. Maine, was used a school bus for the students of Dr. Charles Jacksons school. In 1911 a bridge was added to the area. If somebody wanted to attend high school, they had to go to West Palm Beach.
Many African Americans work on the railroads and the steamboats in Jupiter. They mostly worked for the white pioneers, cleaning their homes, working in the dairies, orange groves, sawmills and any other place that needed work. Annie Roundtree and William J. helped build a school for black children by donating an acre of land, near Limestone Creek Road, in 1902.
In 1916 and in 197, nine British airman stayed in Jupiter, and used as their training ground for three airplanes, or rather, seaplanes. The aviators, while they had tents, stayed and lived with Mr. and Mrs. Savage,
In 1924 John DuBois married Bessie Wilson. Hey remembered how the Indians came to trade with local traders, who sold venison and berries. These Native Americans, from the Seminole tribe, knew when fish would move and be trapped in the inlet when the tide changes.
The Town of Jupiter has, in 1925, been officially founded and incorporated. A year later a state highway was constructed, connecting Miami with Jupiter, going over the Loxahatchee River.
In 1926, the same year, the Florida land industry crashed. Development plans for this island were dropped. Instead of building a town named Picture City, a Grecian-style city that would have attracted movie companies and stars to Jupiter.
The property bought by the people behind Picture City put it up as a bankruptcy sale of over one million dollars.
The Great Depression
The Great Depression came next, make the real-estate market in America even worse. This hit Florida especially hard. Ownership of the land changed places often. The next owner, in 1934, was Joseph V. Reed. The property as in his ownership until 1996.
In 1944 Joseph Reed, along with his wife and seventy-five other people started the Jupiter Island Residence Committee, as well as the Island Club. However, Joseph V. Reed gave the land to the firehouse and the police station.
Golf was always very popular here, starting since the late 19th century, when Scotish people, mainly pineapple plantation owners, enjoyed a game or two of golf on this land.
This beautiful resort had a vivid and checkered history. It sounded erratic, even random at times, going through much change.
Om 1968 a big portion of the southern part of the land was given to the Nature Conservancy, being used as a wildlife preserve. Eight years later, in nineteen seventy-six, five hundred whole acres of land were given to the US Department of the Interior to be used, once more, as a wildlife preserve.
One could say, it finally found peace.